February 04, 2012

Becoming Domesticated

I’ve been reading many blogs where they’ve tried making their own laundry detergent.

I’ll be honest.

I’m not very domesticated. I LOVE to save money, but prefer to buy my stuff premade.

Sounds kinda silly, doesn’t it? I mean, everyone knows that 99% of the time it’s cheaper to make stuff yourself than buy premade.

But for some reason I’ve been reluctant to try making my own laundry detergent, dish detergent, etc.

Until now.

I finally bit the bullet and am giving it a try.

1327709149_5e1a75e4f263

(not my picture…I borrowed from here)

Today I purchased the ingredients. (everything was purchased at Wal-mart in the laundry aisle)

1-4lb. box of Borax ($3.38)

55 oz. box Super Wash Soda ($3.24)

1-4 lb. box Baking Soda ($2.08)

4 bars of Fel Naptha soap (.97 each)

3 lbs. Oxyclean (I bought Sun Oxygen cleaner) $2.73

1 bottle Downey Unstoppables (NOT required…I just like the smell) $4.97 (used $2.00 coupon)

Grate Fels Naptha soap with cheese grater. Mix everything together in a large air tight storage container.

IMG_0386

The best part….you use only 2 TBLSP. per load! Total cost of the above product was $20.28 and will do approx. 320 loads of laundry….which makes each load of laundry only 6 cents! Can NOT beat that! Give it a try.

jpvipj[1]

3 comments:

  1. What a great post. Very good tip. I am not very good at stuff like this....but you almost make it seem easy. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...6cents a load? I need to make a trip down to Walmart. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:23 PM

    Found your blog from RQ -- your Hunan cutie resembles ours in many ways. Looks like you have a lovely family. Just wanted to offer a thought that the Fels Naptha may not be the healthiest thing to put in your laundry. Try EWG.org for info on the contents of products. Also saw this write up on fels specifically:
    http://greenlivingqa.com/content/fels-naptha-soap

    Anyway, your children are adorable. Glad to see another happy Hunan girl.

    ReplyDelete