September 02, 2008

Pleurisy

Pleurisy - also known as pleuritis, is an inflammation of the pleura, the lining of the pleural cavity surrounding the lungs, which can cause painful respiration (also called pleuritic chest pain) and other symptoms.

For reasons unknown, I decided to get this yucky, very painful, infection Saturday night.

For any of you who have no idea what this is, consider yourselves lucky. This is one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. I have chronic back pain, so am used to dealing with aches & pains. I handle all types of pain well (I got hit above the eye with a golf club and couple years back, and never once cried...just held my hand over to stop the bleeding, grabbed an old washcloth, and told Dan we needed to get to the ER). This, however, will get those tear ducts working overtime! There are major (MAJOR) sharp pains that run through your back, and down into your arms. Mine usually concentrates itself on the left side (for some reason). Breathing, other than small, shallow breaths, is impossible. Coughing &/or sneezing will make you think you're dying. Walking & turning over or getting up from a lying position is painful, as well. Basically, since it's an inflammation in the lining of the lung, anything that moves that lung will cause severe pain.

It's times like these I'm thankful to have a Dr. in the family. We called my step-father-in-law around 10 a.m. and he had a prescription ready for me within 2 hours. The pain is down to bearable now. I can at least walk & breathe easier. Sudden turns or stretches still have me wincing sharply.

The bad thing is I've had this twice now, but they haven't been able to figure out what's causing it. Pleurisy is caused by many things, including lupus, tumors, pneumonia and most commonly, bacterial/viral infection. I've had x-rays and they know it's just an infection, just not sure what's causing it. I know the best way to prevent it, is to know what causes it in the first place. Believe me...I wish I knew what to do so I never get this again. YUCK!!!!

1 comment:

  1. OH dear, Brandi! I am so sorry you are dealing with this. My grandmother use to get this a good bit and I remember her saying how painful it was. I wish I was closer to you...I would come bring you a meal and clean your house for you!
    I will keep you and your recovery in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully you and the doctors can find the cause quickly.

    ReplyDelete