September 17, 2007

Words of the Week

In preparation for our travel to China, I purchased a CD & card set to help learn to speak basic Chinese. I’ve decided to choose just a few to practice every week, so as not to get overwhelmed.

The words for this week are:
Hello - Ni Hao (Nee How)
Goodbye - Zia Jian (Tseye Geean)
Please - Qing (Ching)
Thank You - Xie Xie (Shee -eh Shee-eh)
You are welcome - Bu Ke Qi (boo kua che)
I Love You - Wo Ai Ni (wo eye nee)
Don’t be afraid - Bie Pa (bee a pah)

Notice:
1) The combination of the “ao” makes the “ow” sound as in “how” and “now”
2) The vowel “I” makes the long “e” sound (as in “see”) when preceded by consonants other than z, c, s, zh, ch, sh or r
3. “X” is pronounced “sh” as in sheep
4. “Q” is pronounced “ch” as in chore
(As in English, there are exceptions. But we have to start somewhere)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with this. I've not started speaking yet, but I can sing one song in Mandarin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandi...I have nominated you for the Nice Matters Award. Please check out our website to find out.
    Cyndi James
    Waiting for Alicyn Shea
    LID 10/24/06
    www.cd2alicyn.com

    ReplyDelete