December 13, 2007

Christmas Traditions

As Christmas gets closer, I find myself thinking about traditions. Things we have been doing since I was a child, things my husband and I have done together and things we have started doing since we've had the girls.

One of my favorite traditions is the reading of "Twas the Night Before Christmas" every Christmas eve. We always celebrate Christmas eve with my side of the family. I have a huge family (2 parents, 5 siblings (3 are married or with significant others), 8 nieces & nephews, plus the 4 of us), so it's always a very busy time. We always meet at someone's house around 5 or so, eat dinner, then open presents. After everyone's gone home, me, Dan and the girls get into our p.j.'s, set out cookies & milk for Santa, then cuddle up and read this story. It started many years ago when Amanda was around 2 and has continued on. After reading this story, they know they have to go to sleep soon so that Santa can come. They know that when they wake up, Santa will have visited and brought lots of goodies. It was, and continues to be, the perfect ending to a perfect day.


What are some of your Christmas traditions? I'm always up for trying new things and I'd love to hear some of your ideas. Leave me a comment and let me know some of your favorite traditions.

(For those of you who are unsure how to leave a comment, simply click on comments and type your comment in the box. There is no need to sign up for a blogger account. If you don't have one, simply click on anonymous. No excuses!)

1 comment:

  1. Fun! We always have pizza on Christmas Eve (delivery, since there is so much cooking to do for Christmas day and something spicy is nice since the next meal isn't). Also riding to see Christmas lights. I also have a standing girlfriend date to bake holiday cookies, though travel messed it up this year (but ok, mom is filling in!). We get a new ornament each year too.

    ReplyDelete